Easy Homemade Spiced Plum Cordial
Easy peasy nourishing cordial which is healthy and delicious for your whole family. That’s what I like to hear!
Summertime is definitely here and with all the delicious stone fruits, ripe and juicy from the orchards in the hills, I have just purchased 2 kgs of plums which are ready to create delicious treats with!
Instead of the usual plum jam, I thought it would be interesting to try something a little different. I also felt that this recipe would work really well with mums and bubs who are looking for healthier options than shop-bought cordial.
This spiced, sweet delicious ‘syrup’ is made with 30 full plums, cinnamon, clove, cardamom, vanilla pods and raw honey. What’s not to love about it? The colour is incredible! I personally used lightly sparkling water instead of still, it’s so refreshing!
So easy to prepare, this cordial is a ‘one-pot-leave-alone-kinda-deal’, strain and enjoy!
Here’s what you need:
- 30 whole plums
- 2 cinnamon quills
- 1 vanilla bean pod, sliced in two halves
- 8 whole cardamom pods
- 5 whole cloves
- 500ml boiling water
- 2-3 Tablespoons raw honey
What you need to do:
- Pop your whole plums and spices in a big saucepan and cover with the boiling water. Bring to the boil and let it gently simmer for about 45 mins until all the plums have broken down. Give it a stir every now and again and leave it to cool.
- Once cooled, you can strain your mixture through a cheesecloth or sieve (I prefer the cheesecloth as it just feels easier). Once you have done that, you can add the honey to sweeten the deal to your preferred level of sweetness.
- Add your delicious cordial to a clean jar/bottle and leave in the fridge! Add as much as you like to water with ice, for a fresh, delicious ‘pick-me-up’! (I like to use lightly sparkling water instead of still water 😉 )
This is so yummy, sweet and tart with all the good stuff in-between!
I would love to hear how you go and especially if nifty little ideas like this are helpful. I love hanging out in the kitchen, creating new treats and snacks! So if this is something you’d like more of, along with kids party ideas and everything bubbles, pop a comment below 🙂